Call (650) 373-1122
← Back to Practice Areas

Removal of Conditional Status, I-751

The I-751 form is used by conditional permanent residents who obtained their status through marriage. Congress implemented a two-year conditional green card to combat marriage fraud. To remove the conditional status, the green card holder and their spouse must file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, within 90 days before the expiration of the conditional residency. The I-751 can be filed jointly with the U.S. citizen or green card holder spouse if the couple remains married and living together. However, if you are no longer married, you may still be eligible to apply without your spouse if you can prove to USCIS that your marriage was entered into in good faith. If the marriage ended before USCIS approves the jointly filed I-751, our office can still assist in such situations, and the non-citizen spouse may still receive permanent residency. We receive many inquiries from individuals in situations like this, and we can provide more information during a consultation with our office.