Call (650) 373-1122
← Back to Practice Areas

Temporary Protected Status (TPS), I-821

The secretary of Homeland Security may designate a foreign country for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) due to conditions in the country that temporarily prevent its nationals from returning safely or unable to handle the return of its nationals.

  • Ongoing armed conflict (such as a civil war);
  • An environmental disaster (such as an earthquake or hurricane), or an epidemic;
  • Other extraordinary and temporary conditions.

To file for TPS, you must submit Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status. You may be granted TPS if you are an eligible national of a country designated for TPS, or a person without nationality who last habitually resided in the designated country. However, you must have been continuously physically present and living in the United States since the effective date of the most recent designation date of your country. In some cases, the law may allow an exception to the continuous physical presence and residence. If you would like more information on TPS, please contact our office!